Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Millionth Word

According to this article, "Web 2.0" became recognized by the Global Language Monitor as the one millionth word in the English language.

Being a tech-savvy word nerd, this headline caught my attention immediately. My inner geek found this to be a poignant and appropriate moment, a definitive example of human possibility brimming with significance. Oh, how this millionth word represented the evolution of human communication, the endless opportuntiy for human growth! I thought what whimsy and meta-fun it would be to share this idea through facebook, as surely this would impress my peers and in turn validate me (this is pretty much the reason I do anything on facebook).

Then I read the article.

While the Global Language Monitor seems to have pretty admirable aims, the nebulous nature of language in itself makes the idea of counting words pretty pointless. Other "English" words making the list include "Jai Ho" and "n00b" - each derived from specific cultures, yet somehow further validated by working their way into American culture and being slapped on a list.

The melting-pot nature of American English is wonderful in its ability to adapt and incorporate. Claiming ownership of a word, however, opens the door to redefining it. At best, redefinitions become watered down versions of their original intention - the word "cool" for example is bandied about so easily and usually with the intent of a marketer, the original tone and concept is forever lost. At worst, redefinitions steal the language of marginalized communities, subverting attempts at expression and rebranding concepts as negative-catch-all-cliches-and-labels.

Personally, I'm continually for an expanding language. The more tools one has to articulate their beliefs and position in the world, the more likely they are to have an empowered role. I guess I should foster my original enthusiasm then at what possibilites this "millionth word" represents, while using the very medium it describes to acknowledge the millions of other words, not on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment