Tuesday, June 2, 2009

An Introduction

It's with equal parts dread and enthuiasm that I consider embarking on this project.  Despite writing, erasing, and rephrasing this introduction for the past twenty minutes, the fundamental idea of this journey is exciting.  The dread, however, comes from knowing that I have a habit of starting projects that quickly become forgotten.  Without accountability to anyone but myself, an inclination towards laziness often debunks my best efforts - my gym membership alone can attest to this.  

A month ago I attended a conference where the keynote speaker introduced me to the concept of "adaptive expertise."  On the subject, he writes:

“The ability to change and continually innovate is where the concept of equipping students to be adaptive experts comes into play...Compared to routine experts, adaptive experts are more likely to relish challenges that require them to 'stretch' their knowledge and abilities.  They tolerate ambiguity, at least for a while, and they think of themselves as people who know a lot, yet still know little compared to all that is knowable.” 

The Adaptive, then, is my attempt to fulfill several goals:
  • Chronicle my growth as a professional educator, and also as one continually learning to teach.
  • Discuss technology within the context of human thinking, learning, and development. 
  • Maintain enthusiasm and engagement within my own thinking, learning, and development.
  • Challenge myself out of complacency or boredom and maintain vigorous interest in the human spirit.  
  • Be an active participant in global conversations about topics I find fascinating.
Ambitious?  Perhaps.  Yet it's my hope that I step beyond my initial "dread" in order to foster this ambition in order to learn - to grow - to adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment