Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Grumps: On Not Following My Own Advice

Teaching a developmental writing course is a mixed bag. Some days you get to engage students in critical thought and introduce them to the power language has in our understanding of controversial issues.

And then, there are the other days. The other days are full of somewhat obligatory lessons on how to properly cite MLA quotations, paraphrase properly, and of course the slew of grammatical errors and rules that I still, six years into this profession, struggle to explain.

Today was paraphrasing day. We started out well, looking at a "what not to do" article that was written by a good old fashion sexist, which sparks some good conversation and illustrates how arguments written with little more than an opinion come across as foolish and ineffective. We segued into how internet research works, using some laughably inept websites that came up with our basic Google searches as examples of why it's important for us to shift to using academic research through the University Library system.

Ten minutes into the class and we were rolling along smoothly. The students aren't thrilled to be required to take this course, but it's bearable....that is, until I decide to spend 40 minutes lecturing from Power Points.

Three words in my own defense: I. Know. Better.

However, it's this part of teaching that I'm struggling with - how do I communicate fundamental, factual, and dry material in a way that is engaging, interactive, and effective? How do I make grammar rules fun and snappy? Fair warning: any Youtube links to School House Rock at this point will have dire consequences. Students are interested in that for about as long as it takes to say "meh".

My lesson for the day? Plan better, I suppose, and investigate my resources. There has to be a way to grow and make this work, and the only person who can do that is me.

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with this too...and right now the place I'm at is that some things aren't fun and snappy. Some things just have.to.be.learned. (and part of why I'm at this point is that I have done witty and funny sentences to illustrate grammar or punctuation rules and it doesn't matter; they still don't remember them. The only thing that works is constant repetition)

    I wonder too, if we shouldn't be snappy with everything because most students now have the expectation that everything should entertain them. Education isn't about entertainment; it's about empowerment. It should change you, and true change requires work.

    So, to make my long rant brief: I don't have an answer for you :( But I'm interested in how you continue try and engage students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the "sexist" article you used on what not to do? I'm curious to see what it is and peruse the article for ideas.

    I'm struggling with exactly what you just mentioned (as I'm in my office this very moment reading over a fragment worksheet, yee haw!).

    I'll think on it, and continue to do so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, it's a loaded article titled "Lovin' those biscuits" that I use on purpose. I couldn't find it again from the original source (the bastion of fine journalism that is the Central Kentucky News Journal), but lo and behold it was reprinted here:
    http://communities.kintera.org/FamilyLifeBlog/forums/permalink/21097/21097/ShowThread.aspx


    The basics are all there - lack of sources, building a thesis purely on personal opinion and experience, simultaneously boxing others into a prescribed role, etc.

    Credit for the article goes to H who passed it along to me about a year ago. It was a gift that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete